आपणा सर्वांचे स्वागत आहे

आपणा सर्वांचे स्वागत आहे

Friday 26 July 2013

Other Holy Places


Other Holy Places


                     This is deity Khandoba’s main temple in Pune. Khandoba is Maharashtra’s tutelary deity and is recognised as Jejuricha Khandoba (Khandoba of Jejuri). The old temple was located at Kadepathar, high up on a hill. A new Khandoba temple was built in Jejuri, which is also three decades old (it was built in 1712). There are historical records of the Moghul army destroying the temple. But, there are also records of Aurangzeb giving 1,25,000 silver coins, after placing a request with Khandoba for quietening the angered bees that were displaced from this temple.
There is a stone Deepmala (a pillar on which large number of oil lamps are lit during a ceremony) in front of the temple. One gets a Darshan (view of a holy place/deity) of Malhari Martand, that is Khandoba, only after climbing 200 steps. This hill is also called Navlakh payricha dongar (hill of nine lakh steps). The temple is beautiful. There is a court hall and an inner sanctum in which the idol has been instated. There are three beautiful idols in the temple of Mhalsa, Manimala and Khandoba. Khandoba is considered as the deity of war and therefore of the Marathas and chiefly of the Dhangar tribe. There are three ancient items, a sword,Damru and Paral maintained in the temple. Every year there is a contest for trying to lift the extremely heavy ancient sword with ones teeth. An individual who can hold this sword up high for the maximum time is declared the winner. There is a fair held here every Dassera, which is attended, in large numbers. Similarly devotees throng here in large numbers on Somvati Amavasya day.
There are historical records of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj meeting his father ShahajiRaje for the first time at this temple. Since ShahajiRaje would be out on a campaign for many days together, the two hadn’t met each other till this event. This event and place therefore is of great historical significance.
The exquisite carving on the Jejuri temple is worth seeing. There are also ancient structures near by that can be visited. Jejuri was a large fort in the south during the era of Shivaji.
Devotees throng this temple with devout chanting of Yalkot Yalkot Jay Malhar (hail to Malhar), throwing Bhandara (turmeric) in the air and applying it in devotion on their forehead. There is a tradition of the bride and bridegroom paying a visit to Khandoba after their marriage. Accordingly newly wed couples throng this temple from all over Maharashtra.
Jejuri is 50 km from Pune and a mere 15 km from the Ashta Vinayak of Morgaon.
Alandi is a small village 25 km from Pune city. Located on the banks of the River Indrayani, this is the place where Saint Dnyaneshwar took Sanjeevani Samadhi. This is why Alandi has acquired the status of a holy place.
Accompanied by innumerable Warkari, a palanquin carrying the paduka (wooden slippers worn by saints) of medieval saint poet Dnyaneshwar starts from Alandi on the eighth day after full moon in the month of Jyeshtha. Travelling across the State it reaches Pandharpur (the main temple of the deity Vithoba) by night on the tenth day of lunar month of Aashadh that follows Jyeshtha. This distance of 208 km is happily traversed by the Warkari on foot lovingly chantingDnyanoba Mauli Tukaram.
The Ajan tree, under which Dnyaneshwar took Samadhi, can still be seen in the temple. The Samadhi is situated on the banks of river Indrayani. Other than this and the Samadhi, other places worth seeing in Alandi are MuktaBai’s temple, Vithoba-Rakhumai temple, and Krishna temple.
The first college, where Kirtan, Pravachan (religious lectures) is taught in Maharashtra is situated at Alandi. The Vedas and other religious books are also studied here.
Every year there are big fairs in Alandi on the eleventh day of Aashadh and Kartik.
In the temple premises there are lodges for the devotees and informative booklets and books are available for sale. It is possible to be accommodated in the village.
Chanting the Name Vitthal and walking in groups called Dindi, several thousands of people go to the Pandharpur pilgrimage for years together. They are called Warkari. In Pandharpur they visit the banks of river Chandrabhaga, the Namdev step and come for the Darshan of Lord Vitthal. Following the teachings of the saint poets and going beyond the caste issues, the devotees of Lord Vitthal observe fast on the eleventh day of the lunar months Aashadh and Kartik.
Dressed in kaftans and shirts with a cap or turban on the head, carrying a saffron flag and cymbals in the hand and a tambourine slung around their shoulders, Warkari come to Pandharpur full of devotion. Tourism for them is to walk to Pandharpur, drenched in devotion to the God.
They bathe in the river Chandrabhaga, take Darshan, apply sandalwood paste and Bukka (holy ash) on their forehead, consume Prasad and turn back home. Pandharpur and Warkari share an extremely close bond, so much so that one is unthinkable without the other. The temple premises have many shops selling saffron flags, strings of Tulsi beads, Prasad and cymbals etc.
The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation every year arranges special buses for the pilgrims. This has proved to be of great convenience to pilgrims coming from various places. Probably no other pilgrim centre in Maharashtra attracts so many pilgrims. There are several lodges, pilgrim shelters and Math in Pandharpur, hence it has become a must visit place for the pilgrims.
The merchandise on sale now includes cassettes, DVDs, CDs of Bhajan and devotional songs. Traditional items such as charms, amulets, pictures and photographs of gods and goddesses, as also books such as religious treatises, compilations of Bhajan etc. are on sale.
Dehu is a small village 25 km from Pune city, located on the banks of the River Indrayani. Shri Tukaram, a great saint of the Warkari and Bhakti sect, was born and resided in Dehu, which gave it the status of a holy place. We still meet Saint Tukaram Maharaj today through the many Abhanga and Gatha composed by him. Shri Saint Tukaram Maharaj was a great devotee of the deity Shri Vithoba (Lord Vishnu). Accordingly, Saint Tukaram’s Paduka too are carried in a palanquin to Pandharpur in the pilgrimage.
A big fair is held here on the second day of the Hindu month of Falgun. It is believed that Saint Tukaram left earth and traversed to the heaven alive on this day. The Vitthal temple, ancient Shiva temple, Indrayani pond, carvings in caves at Ramchandra and Bhandara hills are worth a visit. Saint Tukaram would seek solitude in the Bhandara hills for mediation and contemplation. Kirtan is conducted here every Thursday and Ekadashi.
As per records NarayanBaba, Tukaram’s youngest son, built the current temple in the year 1723.
This is a small village in Solapur. Swami Samarth Maharaj’s Samadhi is located here. Just 45 km from Solapur, it is visited by innumerable devotees. Swami Samarth of Akkalkot was a saint of the Nath sect who did intense penance. Devotees believe that he is an incarnation of the deity Dattareya, has had many re-births and is still alive today in another rebirth.
The Samadhi and Shivpuri Ashram are worth a visit. The Agnihotra tradition (keeping a flame alive constantly) is dedicatedly carried out in the Ashram.
Shirdi is famous for the great saint Shri Saibaba, who resided here for many years at the end of the 19th century. He guided the people on the path of devotion through his actions, giving two important lessons of faith and patience. He took Samadhi here at the beginning of the 20th century.
Later in 1922, a grand temple was built here and Saibaba’s idol instated. The temple is beautiful, with a façade of Italian marble. The idol is humongous. The Samadhi is also covered in marble, clean and attractive. Gopalrao Buti of Nagpur started building the temple for the deity Murlidhar (Krishna). But after becoming a great devotee of Saibaba, Saibaba became Shirdi’s Murlidhar and the temple became Saibaba’s Samadhi temple!
The place in Shirdi where Saibaba lived is called DwarkaMai, which was actually a dilapidated Mosque. Saibaba came to Shirdi as a child ascetic (Bal Yogi). The place where he was first seen is called GuruSthan (place of the Guru ). The place where he slept is called Chavdi. The garden, called LendiBag, which was lovingly created and nurtured by Shri Saibaba is well maintained even today. Baba mediated here every day under the Neem tree. The stone on which he sat every day in the temple premises is displayed at the temple. There is a small museum of all the things that he used, among which were the container from which he drank water, Paduka, hand grinding stone, Hukkadani (water based smoking device), Kafni , Khadavaetc. There are also some exclusive photographs of Shri Saibaba here.
Devotees of all religions caste and creed the world over throng here for the Darshan of Shri Saibaba. Every year, the count of devotees visiting here keeps increasing. The temple organization made arrangements of lodging boarding and Prasad (blessings of the deity in the form of food item or turmeric or Kumkum that is applied to the forehead). Several structure have been built to accommodate maximum people comfortably.
Shirdi is located near Kopargaon in Ahmednagar district, 300 km from Mumbai, 200 km from Pune. At a mere 60 km from the Manmad Junction railway station, it is very easy to reach this place by rail.
Saint Gajanan Maharaj made Shegaon famous. Two youngsters, Bankatlal and Damodar, first saw Gajanan Maharaj in Shegaon in the year 1878. He is considered as a rebirth of Samarth Ramdas. He is also considered an incarnation of deity Vishnu and that is why Shegaon is also called the Pandharpur of Vidharbha. He was adept in the knowledge and science of Yog andVed. He had acquired some spiritual powers through penance. He understood the language of animals and birds. While resolving peoples personal problems related to materialistic life, He guided them and set them on the path of devotion and philosophy. He gave the people the holy chant Gana Gana Ganat Bote, which was a prayer to Lord Ganesh, and therefore he acquired the name Gajanan.
Many renowned personalities like Lokmanya Tilak, AnnaSaheb Patwardhan, DadaSaheb Khaparde were his devotees. Many a great scholar, Guru , teacher, of Vidharbha would come to meet him. He was a unique saint who discarded all restrictions, wore no clothes, ate whatever was available, slept wherever he was, and never maintained any object with himself. His daily routine would be to guide people and constantly meditated and strived towards spirituality.
In 1908 he advised his devotees to set up a trust and accordingly the Gajanan Maharaj Sanasthan was set up to aid his devotees. In 1910, he revealed his desire to leave behind this materialistic world to his devotees in front of Pandharpur’s deity Pandurang. He told them the date and location on which he would take his Samadhi. On 8th September 1910, a Thursday, he took everyone’s leave. Thursday is when devotees throng in large numbers at Shegaon to takeDarshan of Saint Gajanan Maharaj. The Ram temple at Shegaon too attracts large number of devotees on RamNavami.
The Gajanan Maharaj Sanasthan has setup many educational institutes in Shegaon as also facilitated the devotees visiting the place.
Shegaon is a village located near Khamgaon in Buldhana district, 550 km from Mumbai and 300 km from Nagpur. The Shegaon station is on the Mumbai-Bhusaval-Nagpur rail route.
The deity here is KaluBai and the fair that is held is famous.
The temple is at a height of 1200 m atop a hill. One has to climb a narrow path to reach the temple.
Every year devotees throng the place on Shakambari Paush Poornima. Devotees first crack a coconut near the MangirBaba temple, take Darshan of KaluBai, then pour oil at the Deepmala.
Mandhardevi is about 25 km from Wai in Satara and 200 km from Pune.
The Gurudwara (Sikh temple) at Nanded is considered as holy as the one in Amritsar. In 1708, a Sikh institution named Takht SachkhandShri Huzur Abachalnagar Sahib was established on the banks of the River Godavari in Nanded. Guru Gobind Singhji, the 10th Guru of the Sikhs, managed the place at that time. Guru Gobind Singhji extolled the virtues of GranthaSahib, the Sikh religious book, saying that the book was the only Guru. But later, he was killed in this same location. A Gurudwara was built in his memory here.
In 1860, Maharaja Ranjit Singh brought workers from Punjab to Nanded and got the current Gurudwara built. There is a museum here named Banga Ma Bhagoji that displays large ancient weapons. Nearby in the premises, there is another holy place where the GuruGranthaSahib is read out aloud. The premises are quite expansive and can accommodate a large number of devotees.
In 2008, the Guru-ta-Gaddi was celebrated here to commemorate the completion of three centuries of the place.
The Gurudwara Guptasar Sahib, the second important Sikh holy place in Maharashtra, is located at ManMad.
Ganpatipule is famous for its Swayambhu idol of Lord Ganapati. Even the hill which is near the temple is shaped like Ganapati.
Ganpatipule is located on the seacoast in Ratnagiri district. Since the Ganapati immerged on the beach (Pulan), the idol was named GanapatiPule. Some even call it Pulyacha Ganapati (Beach Ganapati).
There are deities at the gateway of each of the eight directions in India. Ganapatipule is considered the deity of the west.
There are historical records of several people contributing to the temple. Initially the temple had a simple roof. Annaji Datto, one of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’s cabinet ministers, built a dome in place of the roof. The Peshwa’s Sardar, Bundele, built the court hall. Barve, the administrator of Kolhapur sovereignty, provided the gold plated Kalas at the top of the dome. Nanasaheb Peshwa provided the Nandadeep (a large brass lamp). Chimaji Appa arranged for the NagarKhana (place where the kettle drums are kept). Madhavrao Peshwa and Ramabai built a stone Dharmashala (lodging for the devotees visiting the place).
As is the practice everywhere else in Maharashtra, the villagers in Ganapatipule do not instate an idol in their individual homes during Ganesh Chaturthi. Everyone congregates at the temple and communally celebrate the festival.
It takes 15 – 20 minutes to go around the hill that is considered Shri Ganesh. Every year, the last rays of the sun fall on the Ganesh idol between 2nd to 4th February and 2nd to 4thsup November. The temple is located right next to the beach. One can enjoy he intense experience of the crashing of the waves, vast sea, endless horizon, extremely quaint and gorgeous temple, and the Swayambhu idol here. While circling around the hill, one can experience the vivid forms of the sea and the Konkan natural beauty.
The Shankar temple located here in district Raigad has a special significance in Konkan. There is a Shivling here and there are temples of Ganapati and Maruti located in the same premises. TheSkanda Purana has a folk lore associated with this place.
The temple has a sloping tiled roof as per the local Konkan custom, and therefore has a its own appeal. Despite the effects of the sea and creek, and not so very strong construction using the local Jambha stone and sand, the structure is still in good shape. This is because there was a tradition during the Peshwa era to renovate temples and holy places.
There is a well in the premises of the temple. Devotees believe that this was dug by Lord Brahma himself. There are two stone Deepmala here which are 20 feet tall. There are images of the trinity (Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh) and Parvati in the temple.
As per tradition in every Shankar temple, there is an idol of Nandi (the bull). Similarly theKalBhairav, believed to relieve devotees from demons, also has a special significance in a Shankar temple. Devotees make it a point to take the Darshan of Kalbhairav too in the temple.
Harihareshwar was the family deity of Shrimant Peshwa. There are records of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Sambhaji Maharaj visiting the temple.
The natural landscape is replete with the deep sea on one side and the Savitri River on the other. Some people circle the place (called LaghuParikrama or Pradashikna), which takes about 45 minutes. This path involves climbing steep slopes, traversing black cliffs, walking through water, walking along the difficult path, and enjoying nature’s bountiful beauty.
Harihareshwar is located in Shrivardhan taluka off the Mumbai-Goa highway, 53 km fro Mangaon.
Shrivardhan is another place in Raigad district famous as a holy place as well as a tourist spot.
There is a folk lore associated with the name Shrivardhan. The Vishnu idol in the Laxminarayan temple in the village has Padma, Chakra, Gadha and Shanka in a specific order in its hands. This is why this idol is named Shirdhar. The village developed (Vardhan) because of this Shri, therefore the name Shrivardhan.
This naturally bountiful village has the Tambdi hill to its north, the sea on its west and the creek to its south. The village extends engagingly into the creek. Shrivardhan is the Peshwa’s ancestral village.
This beautiful village has many ancient temples. Following is a brief description about them:
Kusumadevi Temple
Kusumadevi is the tutelary goddess of the village. This temple far from the village, up in the hills under the shade of trees. The temple has a tiled sloping roof and there is a large open space around the structure. ChaturBhuj MahaSaaswati, AshtaBhuja Mahalakshmi and ChaturBhuj Mahakali have come together here to form the Goddess MahaKusumaDevi. All these idols are cut from black rock and are 1.5 to 2 feet tall. The meaning of Kusum is Flower. It is conjectured that since the deity is amongst the flowers in the forest, therefore the nameKusumaDevi. It is said that this temple dates back to the ear of the Pandava. A big fair is held here on the days of Navratra and ChiatraGauriPujan.
LakshmiNarayan temple
The idol of Vishnu in this temple is a fine example of sculpture. This idol is 2 feet tall, carved out of black rock in the southern Indian style. Artistic and proportionate, this idol is probably from the Shilahar era. There is a sculpture of Garud near the right leg and that of Goddess Lakshmi near the left. Lakshmi is Vishnu’s (also called Narayan) consort, and therefore the temple is called LakshmiNarayan. There are idols of Jay-Vijay standing on either side of Vishnu. The Dashavatar is carved in the backdrop of the idol on both sides.
Somjai temple
This is ancient temple. It is believed that the ascetic Agastya Muni established the Somjai temple. It was renovated by the Peshwa. The entrance door of the temple is carved beautifully. The main temple has a tiled sloping roof in the typical Konkan style.
The deity is carved out of the Shaligram stone. The four forces of Shiv, Bhavani, Nandi and Vasuki together form Somjai.
A week long celebration is held in the temple beginning from Margashirsha Vadh Pratipada. The Navratra is also celebrated here with great pomp. Devotees believe that taking Darshan of both Somjai and Harihareshwar in one day is as beneficial spiritually as visiting south Kashi.
Jivneshwar temple
The inner sanctum of the temple is built in Hemadpanthi style and the Shivling is square and 5 – 6 feet tall. There are two large stone DeepMala in the premises. The water tank in the premises built of Jambha stone indicates that the temple might be quite ancient.
Peshwa temple
Shrivardhan being the Peshwa ancestral village, this temple is in the premises of the Peshwa ancestral home. There is a beautiful sculpture here of Shrimant Balaji Vishwanath Peshwawearing the Peshwa’s turban and cloth.
Other than these, Shri Ram temple, Arvi – Narayan temple, Devkhol – Kusumeshwr temple, Vakalghar – Gangadevi temple are other holy places worth a visit around Shrivardhan.
With their exquisite sculptures, carvings, pleasant and quiet atmosphere, and gorgeous natural landscape, these temples attract devotees, historians and tourists alike.
DiveAgar is 171 km from Pune on the Pune – Shrivardhan route, and 156 km on the Pune – Mhasala route. The road is in good condition. Travelling by rail, one can get off at Mangaon station and take a private taxi to DiveAgar.
Various records indicate that the village is quite ancient. The Shilahar dynasty ruled this area for around 450 years between 800 to 1265. Trade and business flourished via the sea route. Unfortunately, the Arabians used the same route to loot the village and destroyed the temples. The Bhat and Bapat brothers re-established the village with permission from Siddhi Johar. There are records of this written in Modi script even today with the Bapat heirs.
Shri SiddhiVinayak is the primary deity of DiveAgar. There are records that this deity was the tutelary God of the Shilahars. The Ganapati idol in this temple is cut from stone. Next to this idol is the bronze idol of AnnapoornaDevi. An extremely ancient copper plate (TamraPat) written in Marathi was found here. Dating back to the year 1030, DiveAgar is thus important with respect to history of Marathi too.
DiveAgar became famous in 1997 because of the discovery made by Shrimati Daupadi Dharma Patil on 17th November 1997 – she found a copper trunk in her orchard of coconuts and areca nuts. This trunk contained a pure gold Ganapati mask weighing 1.325 kg along with some jewellery to adorn the idol.
The Shiva temple at Kankeshwar is atop a hill known by the name of KanakDongri. Devotees believe that the hill was created by Lord Parshuram. The path leading up to the temple with 700 to 750 steps was built in 1764. There is a constant flow of water from the Shri KankeshwarShivling. The dense forest on this hill and the purity and peace at this place provide a great experience to devotees and tourists alike.
Ramchandra Amatya, who wrote the Agnyapatra that detailed the administration and politics of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, resided at Kankeshwar after retiring from politics.
There is a Shri SiddhiVinayak temple at Kankeshwar too. It was built by Lambodar Swami of Karad in 1798. The Ganapati idol was donated and instated by Maral Swami of Baroda.
The road to Kankeshwar is 12 km from Alibaug on the Alibaug – Revas road. 
Allaudin Khilji attacked Saurashtra in 1296. There were twelve Sun idols on a pedestal in the Sun temple Prabhaspattan, Shri Krishna’s town of residence. When the Pujari of the temple learnt of the impending attack, he climbed on board the ship of a trader heading south the idols. That ship got stuck near the coast near Kasheli. He picked one those idols and hid it in a cave on the coast. This is a 400 sq ft natural cave on a cliff about 15 feet high at the coast.
Later, the ship moved ahead. When the villagers found the idol in the cave, they built a temple in their village and instated it. Shri Kanakaditya is this temple.
There are exemplary carvings and wooden images in the temple. The KanakAditya idol is cut from black rock. There is a silver chariot that can be viewed during the Rath (chariot) festival. The RathaSaptami festival is celebrated here for five days beginning from Magh Sudha Saptami to Magh Sudha Ekadashi.
There is a copper plate in the temple dating 850 years back. There is an article carved on it in Sanskrit.
Kasheli is on the Ratnagiri – Adivre- Poornagad route. 
It is believed that the River Ganga emerges here once every three years. The water flows for eleven days through at least fourteen springs. Some of these are hot water springs. This Ganga disappears as suddenly as she appears.
Chiplun is an old city situated on the banks of River Vasishthi. There is a temple of goddess Vindhyavasini and Parshuram, sixth incarnation of god Vishnu in Chiplun. Twelve km from Chiplun, in a place called Dervan, an exhibition of sculptures depicting important events from Shivaji Maharaj’s life is set up in the memory of Shri Walawalkar. This exhibition is called Shivasrushti. This place has recently become a must –see event in the itinerary of tourists.

No comments: